I recently spoke with a few of my clients who were looking for self storage facilities, and they asked me to do some research to help them find reliable facilities to store their stuff. I began some research and learned that self storage facilities offer much more today than they did several years ago. When people think of a self storage facility, they often think of a dingy space on the outskirts of town. They were generally either fenced in, or the spaces were inside a building, but there weren’t advanced security systems to ensure stuff stayed safe. I began some research and learned that these facilities offer much more today than self storage facilities in the past. Here are some of the things I found:
- Advanced security systems: Today, most self storage facilities have advanced security systems to keep your stuff safe. They have security cameras, which are monitored by security guards. They also have locks which are tamper resistant, so even if someone gets past the security cameras, they will be unable to penetrate the locks to enter the storage units.
- Weather resistant spaces: Spaces have been modernized to ensure that they protect peoples valuables against the elements. For example, they are leak free, so that if it rains, there is not a risk of water leaking in and destroying your stuff. This is very important. This is especially important in todays world, where a changing climate is increasing the likelihood of heavy storms. Now people can feel confident that their stuff will stay safe and dry regardless of the storms.
- Heated spaces: In some places, heated spaces are available for your stuff. This is very common and helps people to further protect their stuff while it is in storage. This is especially important in places where the weather gets very cold. In these situations, it may be important to protect your stuff with a heated space.
Self storage units come in many different sizes, which can accommodate many peoples needs. Having a variety of sizes means that people can pick their size based on the amount of stuff they have. This is useful since some people just need to store a few things, while others have a lot of stuff they need to put into storage.
Doing this research showed me that self storage units have a lot to offer and can help people who need to use them feel at ease. People often seek out self storage units for a variety of reasons, the most common reasons tend to be:
- Someone is doing a home improvement project and needs to store some stuff
- Someone is moving out of town for several months
- Someone moved out of their home and did not have time to get rid of all of their stuff or downsize
- Someone moved to a new city and has not yet found a place which will fit all of their stuff.
While these are the most common reasons, there are many reasons why people need self storage rental units.